Italian Sausage and White Beans with Sage won’t win any beauty contests, but this dish is pure Italian comfort food. If you want a more carb-conscious version, double the sausage and cut the amount of beans in half!
Admittedly this dish of Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and White Beans with Sage won’t win any beauty contests, but I promise you’ll love this dish if you like these flavors, and if you have sage growing in your herb garden, I’d consider this a “must make” dish for this time of year. You can cook the beans in the slow cooker earlier in the day if you like, or cook beans on the stove or in the Instant Pot and then finish the dish in the slow cooker or Instant Pot, but starting with dried soaked beans is key to what makes this dish so creamy and comforting. And this recipe has been updated with complete instructions for the slow cooker or Instant Pot, so take your choice on that.
I like turkey Italian Sausage in this, which keeps the finished dish from being too high in fat, but I’m sure it would also be great with pork sausage as well. This is something I’ve been making for years with my garden sage; hope you enjoy!
Ingredients for this Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Recipe:
- dried white beans, fresher beans will cook more quickly (The recipe also has conversion for canned beans)
- whole cloves garlic
- fresh sage leaves (or you can use dried ground sage if needed, but use it sparingly)
- dried Italian Seasoning (or use Italian Sausage Seasoning if you have that.)
- olive oil
- uncooked turkey or pork Italian sausage (I love Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausage, which is what I used)
- ground fennel seed (highly recommended, please do not skip)
- petite dice tomatoes with juice
- cooking water (saved from cooking beans)
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional but good)
Get complete instructions for Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and White Beans with Sage from Kalyn’s Kitchen.